Guava, being a fruit which is very rich in fiber and hypoglycemic helps to reduce blood pressure. There are so many other health benefits of this delicious fruit, thus, it is hard to know where to begin. But, it is very important to know that guava helps control diabetes and protects the prostate. A guava is extraordinarily rich in vitamin C, lycopene and antioxidants, 3 things which are beneficial for skin.
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) salted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp dry sherry
- 1 1/2 pounds guava paste, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. In a medium-size saucepan over medium heat, melt the shortening and butter together.
2. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, except the sherry and guava paste. Add the shortening and butter and, using your hands, mix well. Add the sherry and mix until well blended.
3. Divide the dough into 2 equal parts, and place one in a
9 x 12 inch baking pan, patting down evenly to form a bottom crust. Cover with the guava slices, and place the remaining dough on top, patting down evenly to form a top crust. Bake until lightly browned, 40 minutes, allow to cool at room temperature, and cut into 2 inch squares.