Pasta is a perfect foundation for healthy, nutritious as well as satisfying meals. It is generally eaten with food full of nutrients, such as fiber filled vegetables and beans, heart healthy fish and monounsaturated oils, antioxidant rich tomato sauce and protein packed cheeses, poultry and lean meats.
- 5 tablespoons butter, plus more for the baking dish
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 6 cups whole milk
- 2 cups grated Gruyere
- 1 1/2cups grated Cheddar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 400° F. Butter a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Wipe out the past pot and melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes (do not let it darken).
- Still stirring, slowly add the milk.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce slightly thickens, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the Gruyère, Cheddar, cayenne, and 1½ teaspoon salt and cook just until the cheeses melt.
- Mix in the pasta.
- Transfer the pasta mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes.