Prawns are a low fat source of protein. A 100 g serving of prawn, approximately 8 prawns, contains 101 calories per serving, over 19 g of protein and only 1.4 g of total fat. A serving also contains calcium, potassium and phosphorus and is a very good source of vitamins A and E too.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced into thin slivers
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup clam juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 750 g – 1 kg big prawns
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, add the olive oil, scallions, garlic, a nice pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Cook until the greens of the scallions are wilted and darkened with the oil and the garlic is tender and slightly golden ( 4 minutes approx).
- Add the tomatoes, season with salt and cook while stirring until the tomatoes are softened ( 2 minutes approx).
- Add the clam juice and lemon juice, bring to a light simmer and stir.
- Taste, and if the tomatoes and lemon juice are too tart, add sugar and stir.
- Sprinkle the shrimp with salt and pepper and add to the pan.
- Cook on 1 side until the shrimp begins to turn opaque and curl slightly, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then toss and cook until they just begin to turn pink on the other side, 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Serve warm or chilled.