Onions have phytochemicals and along with their vitamin C source, they help to improve immunity. They contain chromium, which assists in regulating blood sugar. For many years, onions have been used to reduce inflammation and heal infections.
- 2 cups assorted cherry, grape, and teardrop tomatoes, halved (or quartered if large)
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus additional for brushing
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 large loaf focaccia, halved horizontally (reserve half for another use)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, halved
- Combine halved tomatoes, finely chopped onion, 3 tablespoons olive oil, chopped fresh basil, and balsamic vinegar in medium bowl
- Season tomato topping with salt and pepper.
- Preheat broiler, place focaccia half, cut side up, on baking sheet; brush bread with olive oil, toast bread in broiler until top is golden brown, watching closely to avoid burning, about 2 minutes.
- Immediately rub cut side of bread all over with halved garlic, then cut focaccia crosswise into 4 equal pieces.
- Top toasted focaccia with tomato mixture and serve.